Tuesday 20 August 2019

Jim's reaction to Tim Fontes' obituary

Tim with Jim & Shimei, Luna BBQ  April 2018
I did not have to deal with the direct realities of my good friend's death recently, but all of Marc Davies' points about my own personal provisions ring true. At Tim's funeral last month - which was a beautiful collection of Tim's friends from all strands of his life in Japan - I was glad that I could sit for a few minutes with his parents, and see that everyone else involved in the life & times of Tim in Japan similarly did so. I could hold his mum's hand and make sure she knew that her son was not an Invisible Man; I could look his dad in the eye and tell him that this fine man, his son, made a lasting impact in the country Tim choose to make his home.

Tim will continue to dance with Luna International when we join Bon Bon in Matsumoto annually - we'll chuck a shrimp on the barbie for him at our Ohanami BBQ. He travelled from Tokyo to talk to my friends, our students, his friends.

Without Tim Fontes, Cambridge Assessment English in Japan would have expired 10 years ago. My Centre, JP004, relied on Tim regularly - because he was reliable, professional, diligent and proper. The recognition of Cambridge's exams in Japan from 2020 by MEXT would not have occurred without Tim. I know Tim was regarded as highly by IELTS as well.

Personally, I will miss my friend most because whenever I needed an independent and balanced opinion, insight, or just diversion into topics English - being bullied at school, hating rugby practice, disgust with the current political situation in the UK (not England), a Baldrick quote or a moan about the trolley service on our train...Tim was my man. An Everyman. And, as I realised at his wake &funeral, an awful lot of people's man.

Rest in Peace, young man.

Tim's obituary appeared in The Japan Times, Monday 19th August. Read it in full here

No comments:

Post a Comment

By all means leave your comments - please do not be offensive, abusive, or rude. We ask you to sign your comment as well, please.