Monday 13 September 2021

Questions for our older students.

When I took CELTA, we were taught to engage our students from the start of a lesson with pictures, questions, and many other prompts. These were extremely useful in engaging the students in the lesson and making them interested. When I started teaching adults, it was a delight! The talk we can have from the mundane to their interest! It was a truly fortunate experience for me. But I always started it with a "How are you?" "How was your weekend?" it turned expected fast. 

Students knew what I was going to ask every week. I wanted to make an impact, ask them questions that they rarely hear, and expand their critical thinking. I talked to Jim one night after all our classes, and he told me to ask them out-of-the-norm questions so I decided to do so! 

I decided to look up questions that were appropriate and not boring or expected. I found 20 interesting questions that fit high school to adults perfectly well and range from Elementary to Pre-Intermediate!

Questions like: 

- Tell me about a favorite event of your childhood.

- Are you a 'morning' or 'night' person?

- What could you do as a child that you can't do now?

- What do you think is the best age to be?

These are simple easy to understand questions but allow students to think and us getting to know each other better. I love getting to know my students and these questions will change from time to time, just to understand how they are as an individual studying a different language. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

By all means leave your comments - please do not be offensive, abusive, or rude. We ask you to sign your comment as well, please.