Thursday 14 February 2019

Sculptures around the Castle


When Jim mentioned the Ice Sculpture festival around Matsumoto Castle I was very eager to go, until he mentioned that the best time to go was at night, when no one else was around. Whenever I’m asked about what Matsumoto is like in the winter there’s always one very clear thing that comes to mind: it’s exceptionally cold. Coming from somewhere that you’d be pushed to find a day with a temperature below 10 degrees, I don’t think this is something I’ll ever get used to. I headed out at about 9PM, equipped with enough layers to make me look like a marshmallow, camera in one hand and a hot chocolate in the other. But boy was it worth it, as the crowds started to slim out (and the temperature started to drop), we got to see the full process that went into the incredibly intricate sculptures. Despite having to take several breaks in the nearest FamilyMart, we made it until 3AM before the cold (and tiredness) got the better of us and we found our way home. If you’re willing to brave the cold, or are just better at handling it than I am, this is definitely the place to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

By all means leave your comments - please do not be offensive, abusive, or rude. We ask you to sign your comment as well, please.