Thursday 26 August 2021

Malaysian Dances! Part 1 : Introduction to Malaysia

Luna International first-ever Malaysian Dance day! Being a proud Malaysian, I took this challenge and wanted to knock the socks off these students! As it was held in August, also known as Malaysia’s Independence month, I thought “Great! Perfect timing!” Thus, my planning started! I conducted my research and talk to family and friends back home! I wanted something unique but not too difficult for students. Finally, I found Zapin and Magunapit to teach them! Was I excited!


 On a beautiful Wednesday morning (18th August) we had a full house! We started with the first half of the day with an introduction to Malaysia! A beautiful montage created by Malaysia Truly Asia showcased the diverse cultures present in the country! The students were in awe especially seeing the animals (Proboscis monkey I see you!) They are also introduced to all the other popular dances across the country (Ulek Mayang - calling spirits of the sea) (Ngajat - A harvest dance)


We continued more by asking the students to colour in 3 different Malaysian inspired drawings by a talented close friend of mine (Instagram: @byanisgallery). She was inspired by the 3 big regions in Malaysia (East and West of Peninsular Malaysia as well as Sabah and Sarawak). From the fabric to our traditional games to our flora and fauna. Truly beautiful especially after the students coloured everything in! Then we stuck up the coloured drawings on the map of Malaysia!

West Malaysia

East Malaysia

Borneo (Sabah and Sarawak)

Now time for costumes!!! Like every performance, the costumes are the utmost important aspect! In Malaysia, as an activity, we like making clothes using newspaper and I really wanted to make the students wear newspaper! So, we made a paper skirt! Extremely easy to rip but did the students have fun learning something new! We continued on to a different aspect of the costume! The headbands! Dancers in Malaysia would usually wear a headdress thus I must make it too! Using yellow and gold cut out leaves, we shaped our headband beautifully. Am I proud of the students!




In Part 2, we will talk about Zapin as a dance and how the students enjoyed learning it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

By all means leave your comments - please do not be offensive, abusive, or rude. We ask you to sign your comment as well, please.