- You have to be 20 to drink in an Izakaya. If you look young, sometimes ID card is required.
- Some izakayas will have tatami areas. Be sure to remove your shoes before stepping on the tatami mats.
- Many izakayas will have a locker with wooden keys. Make sure exactly where your locker is.
- While being seated at your table, you will usually find a small white towel, called "Oshibori". You should wipe your hands before eating.
- A lot of izakaya will automatically serve you a small dish when you are first seated. You have to pay a small charge for this dish.
- Many people tend to start with beer. But there are various drink menues in izakayas.
- You are allowed to smoke in izakaya in Japan.
- In izakayas, it is traditional to share the dishes. As a group, sharing each dish by taking small plate.
- When receiving drinks, it is polite to hold the glass with both hands. One hand should be underneath and one on the side.
Saturday, 29 August 2015
Posted for Yuki