Sunday 5 December 2021

A postcard from...Kagoshima, Kyushu

Sakurajima rumbling

I enjoyed my working day in Kagoshima recently, looking after an experienced group of teachers in their training as Young Learners speaking examiners. The events over the last couple of years have prevented most of them from actually examining, so it was refreshing to get their active status revived, and to have a couple of new faces also join the YLE team.

Training is always an intense effort, as covering three quite different levels from pre-A1 to A2 requires hands-on practice with materials, and consierable thought into what-ifs...which with children can mean just about anything! Main concern is with having the right kind of people in this role of responsibility, who I can trust to act properly & professionally.

mask-wearing styles in Kagoshima
I did manage to grab an hour of sunshine at lunch, and reacquaint myself with the stunning view that is an erupting volcano on the doorstep; Sakurajima has been rumbling for years now, but no less menacing! I also found some intersting street art in the rain, heading back to the station...why were ALL the hotels in Kagoshima fully booked? I'll never know, but learned my lesson to plan ahead a bit better next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

By all means leave your comments - please do not be offensive, abusive, or rude. We ask you to sign your comment as well, please.