Wednesday 9 July 2008

Eye of the Storm

After Reading Question:What is the worst weather you have seen?

It was long long rain in 2006 July.Big mud flow destroyed many house and a few (7 or 8) people died in Okaya city. That time I lived in Shimosuwa town which is in the next in Okaya City. My house was near the river To-gawa. This 2 pictures which I took are the river To-gawa. The river seemed to overflow at any moment.

A lot of trunk road stopped. Therefore, the company became one day rest. Next day, I went to work from Shimosuwa to Matsumoto. But highway closed at 11:00 am. There was an instruction to people who lived in Suwa, "go back home". Of course, me too.

I left work at 12:00. Every cars concentrated on Route20 (shiojiri-toge). The traffic jam occurred. I got home about 4:30 pm. It would arrive in 30 minutes if the usual.

It was the worst weather I have seen.

2 comments:

  1. Yuji,

    I don't like Shiojiri toge either - I got a speeding ticket there several years ago, on my way to teaching a pooliceman's wife! However, four and a half hours' on the hill would be extremely frustrating!

    I agree about that storm though; it hit Suwa/Okaya/Shiojiri really badly. Did you have to help clean up as well? Have the affected areas recovered - or did houses etc have to be repaired/rebuilt?

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. My house did not have damage. I raised a fund. It is necessary to have restored it for a long term. My friend works for the Prefectural government, and he was really serious at that time.

    ReplyDelete

By all means leave your comments - please do not be offensive, abusive, or rude. We ask you to sign your comment as well, please.