Sunday 24 May 2009

The Day of the Jackal

The Day of the Jackal (1971) is a thriller novel by English writer Frederick Forsyth, about a professional assassin who is contracted by the OAS French terrorist group of the early 1960s, to kill Charles de Gaulle, the President of France. Click here
For the 1973 film adaptation of the novel, see The Day of the Jackal (film).

The Jackal is a 1997 suspense film starring Bruce Willis, Richard Gere, Diane Venora and Sidney Poitier. It was directed by Michael Caton-Jones. While its title is similar to the 1973 film The Day of the Jackal, it shares only the main story point of an anonymous assassin and some general plot elements. see The Jackal (film).

Writing Question 37: Imagine that you are the real Charles Calthrop. Write a letter from your London flat to the friend that you went fishing with. Tell the friend what happened when you returned to London.

Answer 37:
Dear friend,
How are you? I hope you are all well.
Thank you for your hospitality during my stay in your hometown. I could spend a wonderful time with you, climbing mountains, fishing and so on.

By the way, can you believe that? When I have returned back my flat in London, the policemen were checking my room without prior announcement. Do you imagine why? As you may know, a terrorist group, OAS was planning to assassinate of the French president. French police seems that I must be an assassin code-named Jackal, because “jackal” in French is “chacal”. C-H-A-C-A-L, and my name is Charles Calthrop. I was investigated by them more than two hours. How do you think? Anyway the assassin was caught and the case was resolved now. I’m through with French police.

This is my story after returning the holiday. If you have a time, please visit to London. You can stay my flat. See you next holiday.

Yours Jackal,

Koa

4 comments:

  1. Koa,

    Really good posting and thanks for the links you have made the effort to include.

    I don't know about you but the remake movie was rubbish! The original wasn't great either, and especially Richard Gere (who sucks) - but the book is a really good read.

    If you write to a friend, you probably write a bit more informally? Just a thought.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Koa-san
    I'm starting to read this book after you.
    Is this story real story?
    I hope this book makes me so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm interested in the story of the day of the Jackal. The fight between the Jackal and Lebel excited me. I felt the Jackal was very cool. He has a lot of knowledge, skills and ability as a murder. But I felt a little bit sorry that the Jackal tended to kill someone like Calotte easily. I'd like the Jackal not to kill someone except his terget. I like a taste like Lupin the third ,famous as a Japanese animation. Anyway this story is very exciting and I'd like to recomend anybody.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Koa-san,


    Did you anticipate the last scene that the real Charles Calthrop came up? At first I didn't understand why Charles came up the room where the Jackal died. Anyway, all of the story excited me, expecially the fight between the Jackal and Lebel is interesting, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

By all means leave your comments - please do not be offensive, abusive, or rude. We ask you to sign your comment as well, please.